The Geese Legart is also known as the Danish Legart, a popular breed abroad. These birds are beneficial in breeding from the economic point of view, very productive and have a pleasant appearance. In the content they are unpretentious, although they need some care, like any other agricultural birds. In this article, a description of the species and its productivity, as well as recommendations for the maintenance and feeding.
Breed description Danish Legard
They bred the Legarta breed in Denmark, it was from here that the second name of the species went - Danish Legart. They made a new species based on several breeds in order to get a large, prolific poultry with high meat indices and at the same time advantageous in care.Interesting! Geese often choose a mate for life. If one of the partners dies, then the second may be sad for several years.
Legard has a red-orange beak, white speck at the end of the beak. Blue eyes
Although outwardly the Legarta geese look simple, but in fact they are easy to distinguish simply by size. Gander weight often reaches 8 kg, and females - 5-7 kg. The body of the male is more square, and in females it is elongated. On the stomach there is a small fat fold. The neck is graceful, swan, not thick. The beak and paws are red-orange, but at the end of the beak there is a white spot like a droplet. Blue eyes.
The down of the birds is snow-white, very soft. The plumage is also white. In general, the bird looks very beautiful in the courtyard, especially since it has an interesting walk. Geese of breed Danish Legarta slowly move, very gracefully, paws at the same time are slightly bent.
Breed productivityRead also these articles.
- Chinese silk chicken - breed characteristics
- The best sweet tomato varieties
- Masking of tomatoes in the greenhouse
Goslings rarely get sick and die
The productivity of the Legard geese are those qualities for which breeders appreciate or dislike the breed. In this case, there are definitely more advantages than disadvantages.
- The breed of the breed is tender, these geese are not as fatty meat as in ordinary breeds, so it is often used in cooking.
- The liver reaches a weight of 800 g, it is very tasty and is suitable for the preparation of delicacies.
- Geese of breed Danish Legart quickly grow, gaining muscle bulk.
- For puberty females need 250 days, and males - 270 days.
- Goslings rarely get sick and die, as do adults.
- Egg production per year 25-40 pieces.
- 65% of the eggs of these geese are fertilized.
Danish Legart has a calm character. The bird is mostly silent, does not fight, does not cause discomfort on the run.
Up to 12 eggs can be put under the goose.
The breeding legacy geese Legart are quite mobile. Females arrange egg laying closer to the beginning of April. For this they need a good nest in a quiet place. Up to 12 eggs can be put under the goose, however, it must be borne in mind that Danish Legart females have a weak maternal instinct, therefore they can throw egg-laying at any time. To avoid this, you should simply use for incubation incubator.
Eggs hatch in 28 days. Usually there are no problems with hatching, but if the gosling cannot reset the shell itself, it is necessary to help it. Growing young is better from the first days in a brooder (mothers rarely look after them). Brooder must be clean, cleaning is done every day so that the young do not become infected through droppings, dirty water or old food. Vaccination is desirable from an early age so that birds do not get sick. In the month, the goslings of the Legard breed can be transferred to the poultry house for adults. With proper feeding, in 2 months the young will reach a weight of 5-6 kg!
Content breed Danish LegartWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Strawberry variety Lord
- Currant variety Selechenskaya
- Grape variety Anniversary of Novocherkassk
- Description melon varieties Ethiopka
For the successful maintenance of geese Legart breed must have a good room and walking.
- Roaster is warm (you can just insulated), without cracks. The floor should be raised so that the birds do not freeze their paws in winter. In general, it is very important that the inside is warm, dry and comfortable, otherwise problems may arise.
- The size of the goose depends on the number of individuals. One square meter is allocated for one goose!
- Litter can be made from sawdust, hay, peat. They cover it with a layer of 5-8 cm and change as it gets dirty.
- Windows are desirable because natural light has a positive effect on egg laying and the general condition of the birds. But, besides, natural lighting is settling down.
Geese Legart locked up can not live
- Nests make for geese spacious. One nest is suitable for two females - and count the number. They should be placed in a dark, peaceful place where no one will interfere with females.
- Feeders should be large so that it is convenient to eat the whole herd. In total, there are 3 types of feeders - for cereals, wet mash beans and for mineral additives (chalk, shell rock, etc.).
- Drinkers put long or just big. You can make the whole system with automatic replenishment or just put a trough.
- From time to time, it is necessary to examine the Legarta geese to identify ailments. When any suspicions cause a veterinarian, because many diseases in birds in a matter of days can cause a real epidemic.
The geese Legart cannot be locked up, so they also have a spacious yard for them. It is desirable that there was a shelter from the summer heat and rain, a lot of grass, useful cereals, which can always be sown. Enclose the range with a simple fence.
A pond for geese of the Danish Legart breed is also needed. If it is not possible to bring them to the present, then you can make an artificial pond on the range. For this fit a simple old bath, a tub. Often ponds are simply pulled in the ground. For geese the pond is a real joy. They become mobile, active, sick less, can also increase productivity!
What to feed geese Legart
In summer, geese mostly eat outside.
Feeding geese of Legarta breed directly depends on their age. For a start it is worth describing how to feed the young.
- To feed goslings Legart is necessary from the first day with eggs (boiled), ground grain, corn grated with greens. The menu should be 50% green, otherwise the birds will not develop correctly. They feed the chicks initially 8 times a day.
- From 3 days feeding is reduced to 6 times a day (from 2 weeks 4-5 times), and portions increase by 30%. Included in the diet are twisted peas, bone meal, fish oil, vitamins and feed for young animals.
- With 3 weeks in the diet add boiled beets, carrots, potatoes, fresh cottage cheese. Food begins to be divided into dry mixes and wet masters. Eat Legart geese 3-4 times a day.
- From the second month, the young can eat with adult birds.
The main feed for geese of the Danish Legart breed is freshly cut grass. They also love boiled vegetables (pumpkin, potatoes, cabbage leaves, beets). Grain must be in the diet. About 50 g of cereals are given per bird per day. In the summer, birds mostly feed outside. In the evening, in the house they are usually given only cereals and, possibly, vegetables. But for the winter it is worth preparing more hay, vegetables and premixes, so that the birds do not have a shortage of food or certain vitamins.Important! If vegetables are given raw, then they need to be crushed in advance on a grater.
In general, it is worth noting that the Legart geese consume about 20% less feed than other breeds, so they are beneficial in breeding. And if you also build a quality walk, then you can save a lot on food during the whole warm season.