Copper sulfate is a very popular tool used in the garden and in the garden. It is a contact drug that can be used to combat diseases, pests and in some other cases. What is this substance and how to apply it can be found below in the article.
What is copper sulfate?
Copper sulfate is also called copper sulfate or copper sulfate. Its chemical formula is CuSO4. This substance looks like a crystalline blue-blue powder, but with prolonged contact with air it turns pale, becoming light gray. And as soon as it is soaked in water, it renews its bluish color. This does not affect the quality of copper sulfate, it is still usable, but it is important to know about this property when using it.Important! Copper sulfate is a means of contact action. It does not accumulate in the plant tissues, so its use does not have a negative effect on the fruits of the crops.
Copper sulphate is sold in any gardening store. As a rule, it is packaged in bags labeled "Copper sulfate" or "CuSO4". It is also included in the composition of such drugs as: "Cupronaft", "Bordeaux mixture", "Burgundian liquid" and the like.
The use of copper sulfate in horticultureRead also these articles.
- The best varieties of onions
- Title - Gardenia Flower
- Peach Variety Golden Anniversary
- Carrot varieties
One of the most affordable and at the same time effective preparations for the garden is copper sulphate. How is it used?
- To enhance the immune system of plants with this drug sprayed culture.
- He fights against insects.
- Copper sulphate can cope with fungal and many other diseases.
- Restores crops after fruiting or some serious diseases.
- Processing places cuts pagon trees and shrubs.
- As a fertilizer garden and garden crops.
How to prepare a solution of blue vitriol?
Copper vitriol how to cook
Depending on what is used for copper sulfate, the recipe for the preparation of the solution may vary significantly.
- 3-5% solutions are considered to be scorching. They are used to decontaminate the earth, eliminate mold. This is a fairly concentrated mixture, so the land it has been cultivated can be used no earlier than in a year. For the manufacture, 300-500 g of CuSO4 are dissolved in 10 liters of water.
- 0.5-1% solutions are considered treatment-and-prophylactic. They are used to combat fungal diseases, pests and for the treatment of sections on the branches, the bark of trees. It is made by dissolving 50-100 g of copper sulfate crystals in 10 liters of water.
- 0.02-0.03% solution is the weakest concentration used as fertilizer and fertilizer for different garden crops. To obtain this feed you need to dissolve only 2-3 grams of CuSO4 crystals in 10 liters of water.
Any solutions of copper sulfate must be prepared immediately before use, and not in advance, because the copper sulfate in cold water may crystallize again.
Copper sulfate treatment in springWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best breeds of laying hens
- Rabbits of meat breeds
- Best Egg Breeds
- Canned pepper for the winter
Most often, copper sulfate in the garden is used precisely in the spring. At this time, plants need a lot of nutrients to grow, and a large amount of copper is consumed during flowering - this is the period of the highest activity of metabolic processes in the tissues of crops.Important! Garden trees and bushes, with a weak immune system, it is recommended to process copper sulphate 2 times a year - in spring and autumn. The procedure is carried out only at a positive temperature in the period when there is no foliage.
- The treatment of plants with copper sulfate solution is usually carried out by irrigating the branches and the ground under the crop. In this case, it is used both as a treatment and as a preventive measure, and as a bonus, the immunity of the “patient” is improved.
- In addition to the care of crops, in the spring of copper sulfate is used for tillage (as fertilizer). It not only enriches the earth with copper, but also destroys fungi, pests that can live in it. The most effective such procedure before planting radishes, carrots, cabbage, garlic and some other plants, especially vulnerable to the negative influence of the environment.
- Another method of using CuSO4 in the spring is to seed potatoes before planting. If we treat them with a solution of 0.2% concentration, the risk of late blight infection will decrease. In addition, this spraying improves the taste of the future crop.
- You can also treat tomato seedlings with a weak solution in order to avoid the possibility of infection by fungi during transplantation to a permanent place.
- If you soak the seeds of crops in a solution of copper sulfate (weak), you can protect them from diseases and accelerate germination. However, such treatment by many gardeners is considered dangerous. According to them, with such processing the substance is not removed from the plant and can harm the benefits and taste of the crop.
Application of copper sulfate
Gardeners strongly recommend not to spray plants with blue vitriol at air temperatures above +30 degrees. So in the summer the use of the drug is reduced to a minimum. Only under the condition when emergency measures are required for the treatment of copper starvation near a tree or other young culture, can a weak solution of the substance be used. Usually signs of copper starvation appear in July. They are expressed in the dying off of the tops of plants, weak growth, and chlorosis.Interesting! The use of copper sulfate is usually alternated with other drugs. The reason is that this substance increases the acidity of the earth and, in addition, in high concentrations can harm.
CuSO4 can be used in the summer and to combat white rot, late blight, and black stalk. In this case, need a 0.2% solution, and the procedure is carried out only in the evening.
Features of the autumn processing of copper sulfate
Autumn processing of crops with copper sulfate is carried out exclusively after the trees and shrubs shed their leaves. The temperature should be above zero! This will reduce the risk of chemical burns and help the plant recover from fruiting.Important! It is often not recommended to use copper sulphate, as copper can accumulate in the ground, and this negatively affects the development of plants.
Thanks to autumn processing, it is possible not only to increase the resistance of trees to frost and diseases, but also to get rid of the pests that usually settle in the winter in their bark. But not only a tree or a shrub is sprayed, but also the ground at its base (root zone), since pests are also often settled there.
Means of protection
Copper sulfate is really an incredibly useful substance. However, it must be used wisely in order not to harm the plants, the earth and even people who are in close proximity during its use.
- Processing plants is usually carried out early in the morning or in the evening, after sunset, otherwise burns will appear on the leaves.
- It is possible to use solutions only in calm weather.
- There is no prohibition from spraying after the rain or just before it.
- Always stick to the right concentration of blue vitriol! Solutions with a concentration of more than 5% kill any pests, but the plants themselves will be burned - do not forget about it.
- Immediately after applying the tool, you must wash the garden tools.
- Copper sulfate can only be used in overalls, gloves, a mask, so as not to inhale the vapors and prevent the substance from getting on the skin, eyes.
- Spraying is permissible before bud break and after leaf fall. In no case can not spray copper sulfate during the flowering of crops - this will lead to poisoning of any pollinators, including bees.
- Copper sulfate processing is carried out no later than a month before harvesting!
Do not forget that copper sulfate is poisonous to humans. Lethal dose of only 50 ml. At the same time, it can be absorbed through sweat, absorbed by contact with any mucous membranes. Therefore, when working with CuSO4, it is necessary to observe individual protection measures and handle the solution carefully.