The Nevsky potato was bred in 1976 by crossing the Candidate and Veselovskaya varieties. It was entered into the State Register of Russia in 1982. Excellent taste, quality characteristics led to the rapid spread of the variety in different parts of Russia, and then in neighboring countries.
Description of the variety and characteristics of the potato Nevsky
Nevsky potato is a mid-grade variety of table purpose. Ripens in 90-100 days from the moment of emergence of shoots. Productivity is high, up to 450 kg / weave. Approximately 10 medium-sized tubers are harvested from each bush if the plant is not sore and has been properly cared for.
The bush is erect, low with sprawling branches. The root system is powerful. The leaves are wide, dark green. Flowers are small, white. Tubers are flat, oval. The weight of an average tuber can reach 120 grams. The peel is smooth, with a large number of shallow eyes pink color. Peel the skin of new potatoes without problems.
Bush upright, low with sprawling branches
The pulp is dense, snow-white, does not darken for a long time, does not lose its taste during long-term heat treatment. Starch in the composition of only 15%, which means that when boiling potatoes do not fall apart, keeps the shape. Use Nevsky potatoes for cooking pieces, frying, stewing, freezing. But the mashed potatoes from it should not be done, since the pieces are badly boiled soft and therefore the final mass can be with coarse lumps.
What kind of dignity?Read also these articles.
- Potato variety Queen Anna
- Feed for chickens
- Alpine goats
- Why does not bloom geranium
It was the positive qualities of the Nevsky potato that made the variety many years ago one of the most valuable for the villagers and consumers.
- Gives stable, high yields with proper care.
- Long stored.
- Ideal for the southern, middle and northern regions of Russia and Ukraine.
- Resistant to some diseases: Alternaria, cancer, black leg.
- Transportability and product quality are excellent, the variety is often grown for sale in the country and abroad.
- It is resistant to mechanical damage, which has a positive effect on transportability.
Gives stable, high yields with proper care.
What are the disadvantages of Nevsky potatoes?
Deficiencies in the variety are also available.
- Poor transfers attacks nematodes and late blight.
- Due to the size of the bushes weeding, hilling and handling of pests is difficult.
- Not recommended for mashing.
It is believed that in comparison with modern varieties and hybrids of potatoes, this is much inferior to them, but it is not. The main advantage and feature of this variety is the possibility of growing in almost any climate. Not every variety can boast of such quality. Therefore, Nevsky potatoes are still in great demand and are grown in many countries around the world.
Features of growingWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Strawberry Variety Temptation
- TGB Incubator
- Wax moth (Ognevka bee)
- Vietnamese melon
Nevsky potatoes need to be grown, like any other variety or hybrid of this crop, but there are a number of features that you should pay attention to when planting and care.
- Plant can be from the third decade of May. Place for landing should be sunny, not submerged, with a low level of groundwater.
- It grows well after legumes or cereals.
- It prefers sandy and loamy soils. If the ground is heavy, river sand and organic fertilizers are introduced into it before planting - 3.5 kg / m. sq.
- The land for planting is digging 2 times - in the fall, along with fresh fertilizer and in the spring, so that the rotted fertilizer mixes well with the ground.
- Seed potatoes should not be very large - 80-90 grams. Cutting this variety when planting is not recommended!
Cutting this variety when planting is not recommended!
- Before planting, the potatoes need to be washed in a solution of potassium permanganate.
- It is possible to plant Nevsky potatoes at a distance of 50 cm from each other, to a depth of 15 cm, and rows are made with a distance of 50-100 cm so that it is comfortable to walk. Otherwise, the bushes just "crush" each other and will not give a full harvest.
Planting care involves timely watering, which continues throughout the growing season and stops 2-3 weeks before harvest. It is also necessary to spud sprouts, loosen the ground to ensure good aeration.
Top dressing bring 3 times for the entire period of growth of potatoes. For the first time, before flowering, half a liter of diluted slurry and 10 g of urea are taken to 10 liters of water. Watering is carried out under the plant. In the period of the appearance of buds, root dressing is carried out: 10 l. water takes 10 grams of potassium sulfate and a glass of wood ash. In the most active flowering period, a mixture of 20 g of superphosphate and 0.5 l of diluted manure is dissolved in 10 liters of water.
During the growth period, the Nevsky potatoes are visible for the presence of pests. At the first sign of their poisoned with insecticides. Medvetoks helps from the bear; from the nematode, Phosphamide and Aktara are used against the wireworm and the Colorado potato beetle.
How to store potatoes Nevsky?
Dug potatoes first laid out on the ground to dry in the sun and bust
In potato varieties Nevsky the lodging of the tops begins very early. Already in mid-July, it turns yellow and falls, and it is at this time that one can begin to eat new potatoes for food. The main crop is harvested from about the middle to the end of August. It is important not to overdo it, otherwise the tubers will wither, bloom, or they will simply begin to eat pests en masse. The main signal that the crop can be harvested is the complete drying of the tops.
Harvest on a sunny day when the land is more or less dry. Dug potatoes first laid out on the ground to dry in the sun and bust. A good one is put in boxes or bags for storage, and the bad is immediately eaten.
Store Nevsky potatoes at a temperature of + 2 ... +3 degrees Celsius. It lays well all winter, but in order to prolong storage, it is necessary to sort out root crops every month and throw away all bad, rotten or painful ones.