Not only proper feeding or housing plays a role in breeding turkeys. It is very important to know how to care for them. Not all breeders know that caring for poultry is very troublesome and only the right actions can provide the breeder with a healthy and beautiful bird. Care for turkeys in detail will be described below in the article.
When and how to clean the house?
Turkey meat is a place where turkeys live, sleep, hatch eggs, eat. Each individual usually has 1.5 m and more free space. That is why turkeys are always quite large, and therefore it is not easy to clean them, but it is necessary, moreover, regularly. Home care for turkeys begins with a turkey hen, because there is no point in all vaccinations and care for each bird, if it lives in a place full of infections.
Homestead for turkeys
It is important to remember that a turkey-hen can become a real breeding ground for infection, if it is not regularly cleaned. Cleaning consists in cleaning feeders, drinking bowls, cleaning windows, cleaning and replacing perches, nests, bedding, cleaning litters, dust, webs above the ceiling, etc. Feeders and drinking bowls clean every day, and everything else is cleaned and replaced as pollution and needs
All procedures should be done in gloves, sometimes in a mask, because feathers, down and dust can affect the health of the breeder, not just the birds. For cleaning, you should use special gentle substances that are not harmful to birds or simple soap, water, rags without odors.
How to equip the walk?Read also these articles.
- Soybean varieties
- Variety of strawberries Albion
- The best fruit varieties of tomato with a description and photo
- The best varieties of red onions
Walking plays a huge role in the life of turkeys. They not only breathe fresh air, but also bask in the sun, rest in the shade, eat tasty herbs and young cereals. That is why paddock should be properly equip and this is an important part of caring for turkeys, so they can not be neglected.
Limited walking turkeys
- Most of the walking should be under the open sun.
- Somewhere from the side, it is possible at the house, if the exit to the walk directly from it, you need to make a shadow. You can use the canopy. He will cover the birds in bad weather.
- Inside the pen, where turkeys are walking, one should regularly sow cereal grasses and useful greens for them: clover, cereals such as wheat, alfalfa, parsley, nettles, green onions, lettuce.
- From time to time in a paddock for walking you need to clean, namely, to sweep litter, food debris, old and dried herbs that turkeys have not eaten.
- It is advisable to make a separate basin with water on the walk, so that the turkeys can drink water without returning to the house.
When caring for turkeys, it is important to ensure that the birds live in good conditions. And it is very important that there are no parasites or rodents in the house or in the pens. They are carriers of germs and diseases, and can even lead to the death of a whole herd.
When caring for turkeys, it is important to ensure that birds live in good conditions.
If rodents or parasites are seen, thorough disinfection must be carried out. In this case, it is best to call in specialists, and not to do the work yourself, especially without practice in this matter.
To prevent such problems from being observed, it is worth once every 2-3 months to carry out surface disinfection using simple tools that are sold in any specialized store. For a start, the turkeys are isolated, then all feeders, pots, and drinkers are removed, and only then it is necessary to disinfect. Drinking bowls, pots and feeders should be washed with boiling water and rinsed in a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate.
How to care for turkeys?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Primula perennial garden
- African swine fever
- When to pick up cabbage
- Currant Yadrenaya
Now it is worth turning to the most important thing - caring for turkeys - for each individual separately. Below will be described what the turkey needs during its entire life span, and what it should provide the breeder.
- Feeding must be correct and balanced. During egg laying, females are given more vitamins, and an abundance of nutrients is important during the period of egg hatching. Vitaminized food is given to both males and females equally, if you need to get fertilized eggs.
- At an early age, you can trim the wings so that the turkeys do not fly over the fence. The wings are pruned in different ways, but the most humane method is trimming the wing feathers, they are the same long and extreme on the wings. They are simply cut with scissors. For a bird it is painless, but it cannot fly high.
- Trimming claws is necessary so that the turkeys during the fights do not cripple each other. During puberty, males become very active, for them it costs nothing to fight with another turkey or scratch a female. Cutting claws can not only reduce the risk of infection through scratches, but also save a large part of the herd from premature slaughter, as crippled individuals are often allowed to slaughter in order to reduce the risk of wasting meat in vain. Only the transparent part of the claw is trimmed, the blood vessels are located further, and then the claws are filed with an emery paper or a sharpener.
- Inspection involves regular observation of the bird, inspection of its head, beak, paws, eyes, feathers. Any signs of illness, bruises should not go unnoticed. If the problem is serious, you must immediately isolate the individual and contact a veterinarian.
Feeding must be correct and balanced.
- Home care for turkeys includes vaccination. It is conducted at an early age, but some vaccinations or medications will need to be given to the bird as it grows up. The list of compulsory diseases for which turkeys are vaccinated includes: New Castle disease, rhinotracheitis, coccidiosis, hemorrhagic enteritis.
- Feather care is needed when the breeder wants to sell fluff, feather, or when he will use it for his own needs. Care is to keep track of the feathers; they should not be smeared, spoiled. If it is noticeable that the feathers deteriorate, you need to clean them or install a basin with sand in the poultry house (turkeys themselves know how to clean the feathers), it is also important to feed the birds with vitamins so that they do not shed.
- Ensuring normal living conditions. Here we are talking about the fact that if a breeder bought a fervent breed that does not get along with other birds, buying and sharing another type with them will be akin to torture. Before you buy turkeys, it is worth finding out more about the breed, its features and only then to acquire. Otherwise, you can ruin the life of not only turkeys, but also yourself - the birds will scream and fight all the time.
If you follow all these rules and norms of care for turkeys, they will grow healthy and beautiful, which means that you can get a lot of fluff, feathers, meat and eggs. Yes, caring for turkeys is primarily beneficial to the bird, but without this the breeder will not be able to build a profitable business.