Hungarian mangalitsa - an unusual type of pigs, which contain not only for meat, but also for decorative purposes. The breed was bred in Hungary, and officially registered in 1830. Differs in high efficiency and with ease adapts even to the most severe climate. Popular in almost all European countries.
What does the breed look like?
Hungarian manganite looks massive, strong bones, well developed, back straight or slightly arched. The legs of adults are short and the abdomen is very large. Young members of the species are smaller, so their legs seem to be of medium length, and the stomach does not hang down much. Nipples are not more than 10. Head slightly elongated, in profile, curvature of the nose is noticeable. Medium sized ears are always forward. Eyes and cilia are dark. The tail is usually dark, the tip is light, and at the same time it is never stopped.
Hungarian mangalica officially registered in 1830
A characteristic feature of the species is the coat. The animal's hair is abundant, almost throughout the body, in the summer it can unwind a little, and in winter it twists into funny curls. Color varies depending on the variety. Interestingly, in piglets up to a month, regardless of the variety, there are weak or pronounced stripes on the back, like in a wild boar.
Often, the Spot of Wellman is a distinctive feature of purebred breed, a spot with jagged edges in the region of the edge of the right ear. Less commonly, it may be on the left ear. All purebred individuals also molt in the spring.
What types are there?Read also these articles.
- Vietnamese visrubry pig
- Giovanni grape variety
- Mineral fertilizers
- Strawberry variety Lord
Hungarian mangalica. Varieties
Only three types of Hungarian mangalica are officially registered.
- "Swallow" was bred in southern Croatia. Color on top of the body is black, and on the bottom along the stomach - light (white or silver).
- Hungarian white mangalica is the most common species. Wool can be different shades from silver to yellow-red. But in any case - pale.
- Red variety bred in Hungary. The coat of the individuals is dark red. Differs in rapid weight gain and great fertility - 8-10 young in offspring. This subspecies, despite its fertility, is very rare.
What are the characteristics of Hungarian mangalica?
Breed refers to the greasy direction of pigs. The meat and fat in the animal is very soft, tender. Fatty layers in meat are not uncommon. Pig meat of this breed is considered a delicacy and is very appreciated throughout Europe. It has a marketable appearance even after long storage.
Characteristics of Hungarian mangalica
- The growth of body weight of young fast. At 6 months, the individual weighs up to 70 kg. An adult boar weighs 350 kg, and a female weighs 250 kg. Record weight - as much as 500 kg! As for fat, at 8 months the thickness of the subcutaneous fat reaches 5 cm, and after another 2 months - 9 cm.
- The food is illegible.
- In comparison with other breeds of pigs, this one has the most delicious and tender meat, as noted by chefs and gourmets.
- Females reach sexual maturity around the end of the first year of life.
- The price of young Hungarian mangalits high, so some breeders bred them just for sale.
- The animal has a good temper, calm in relation to other animals and people.
It is important to note that you need to buy individuals of the species with great care. Unscrupulous sellers cross pigs with wild boars and sell offspring under the guise of Hungarian mangalitsa. Such piglets slowly grow and develop, and their meat has a tough taste. Therefore, it is recommended to acquire young stock only from a trusted seller or acquaintances.
How to care for a Hungarian breed?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Tomato variety Banana legs
- Strawberry variety Bereginya
- What can be fed ducks
- Top dressing cherries in spring
Hungarian mangalica is very popular not only due to the qualitative characteristics of meat and fat, but also due to its unpretentiousness. The care is elementary, and the norms of maintenance are simple even for a young breeder.
Pigsty plan for 2 heads
- A pigsty is needed with a roof so that the animal can take shelter from the weather. Heating is not required. It is advisable to make several windows, artificial lighting is not so much for animals as for convenience. It is necessary to equip at least a primitive ventilation system.
- The presence of walking - a matter of purely individual. The animal may be kept in the shed, but it does not usually grow wool. However, it is important to note that walking a positive effect on health, weight gain (including fat). You can walk the breed both in summer and in winter due to the presence of fur, which saves the animal from insects and cold. For walking you can equip a paddock or a small aviary.
- Vaccination is not required, which is positive in terms of saving time and money.
- Cleaning is carried out regularly, as diseases can develop in the mud, and the animal will be uncomfortable in such a room.
What to feed the Hungarian mangalitsa?
Feeding and maintenance of Hungarian mangalitsa
The omnivorous nature of the Hungarian mangalica makes it ideal for keeping the countryside. During walking, she can eat reeds, acorns, grass, roots, algae. In the pigsty in the evening, the animal is fed with vegetable mashes (carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, beets, corn, potatoes, etc.). You can make cereal from cereals, they will positively affect the digestion of pigs. Of course, do not forget about water, it should always be in clean drinking bowls in large quantities.
Seasoned breeders do not recommend giving a lot of food to the animal, as the individual may even die from overeating. It makes no sense to feed the pig all that is in the house or in the garden, the natural increase in meat and fat is sufficient. On the day of the animal gains from 700 g or more with minimal feeding.
Hungarian mangalica pigs from the first days of life feed on milk. Later, from 4-5 days, you can gradually enter into their diet regular food. To begin with, a liquid barley with barley is given. As additives, you can put bone meal, chalk, red clay in the talker. Vegetables and fruits in general form or in large pieces can be given only from 3 weeks.